It’s that time of year again…when we enthusiastically pull out our slow cookers, grab our spoons and gather together in the kitchen for our annual chili cook-off! This year’s competitors included a Queso Chicken Chili, Vegetarian Chili and Spicy Chorizo Butternut Squash Chili.
We loaded up our bowls with chili and piled on the toppings: cheese, green onions, cilantro, sour cream and avocado. And of course, there were plenty of chips for dipping! As we stuffed our faces sampled the chili, we debated the merits of chips vs. cornbread (both awesome) and had a hearty discussion about which Fritos are better: regular or scoops (scoops, obv).
After we had all enjoyed seconds and thirds, we cast our votes and went back to our desks to take Tums wait for the results.
And the winner was…Kelsey’s Queso Chicken Chili!
This cheesy white chili is packed with chicken, beans and chili peppers for a Mexican twist. It’s flavorful, but not too spicy – chili perfection! Another successful chili cook-off in the books, and another great chili recipe to add to your collection. Try it for yourself and you’ll thank us later.
Kelsey’s Queso Chicken Chili
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cans Great Northern beans (2 cans mashed, 2 cans whole beans)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 2 limes, juiced
- 8 ounces queso cheese, shredded
- In large stock pot cook chicken in butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Remove and let cool. When cooled enough to touch, shred with two forks and set aside.
- In same pot, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté onion over medium heat until softened. Add poblano peppers and garlic; sauté until onions are browned.
- Rinse and drain beans. Mash 2 cans of the beans, leave 2 cans whole. (The mashed beans give the chili a wonderful creaminess!)
- Add beans to the pot, along with the chicken stock and spices; simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, green chiles and lime juice; simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Add queso and stir until cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite fixings!
- Sour cream
- Tortilla strips
- More shredded queso!